GREENLAND ICE CAP, UNSUPPORTED and UNASSISTED, approx 500KM. MARCH 2012.
A chronicle of my first ever Arctic crossing. In fact, my first ever expedition! As part of a 2 man team I will cross the Greenland ice cap, covering approximately 500km taking around a month. I will be pulling up to 100kg on a pulk across the ice in temperatures as low as minus 40 degrees Celcius. With no previous experience to call on, you can follow my attempt to transition from expedition layman to Arctic adventurer.

MY FUNDRAISING PAGE IS ONLINE NOW!!



MY 1ST ARCTIC CROSSING for MARIE CURIE CANCER CARE, MIND & AGE UK

The 3 charities I will be raising money for are now finalised - Thank you to everyone who had input and voted on the 3rd charity to be included.  The charities are Marie Curie Cancer Care, Mind & Age UK, who will receive 50%, 30% and 20% respectively.

I have set myself an ambitious fundraising target of £3500.  It took some thought, but I am happy that this amount is proportionate to the challenge ahead of me and I hope that you will share that view.  Anything you may be able to contribute to help make this trip a success and for me to reach this target would be so gratefully received.  As daunted as I am by the ice cap crossing I am even more daunted by reaching this fundraising target, but in the spirit of this whole event I figured I should aim high and see where it takes me.

My fundraising page is here - http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/AndyInTheArctic

Virgin Money Giving allows most common methods of payment including Visa, MasterCard, Maestro, American Express, Solo and PayPal.  To make a donation through their page takes just minutes and affords you all the secure protection you would expect from such a reputable company.  Donations from overseas are welcome.  Anyone who prefers to sponsor me 'offline' can contact me directly and I can make arrangements for that and just update my site to reflect the offline donations.  Any potential donors looking for further information can find it here.

Now the charities are set I have no more excuses and can get underway on reaching the target.  In my head, it also allows me to move on to the small matter of training.  That is, really getting the hours and weight of tyre pulling up (look out Swinley Forest!).  Then there is the cross country skiing to pick up (never been on skis before), familiarising myself with the weapons we'll need to carry (to guard against polar bears), getting navigational stuff down, getting ALL of the kit I need, reading everything I can about similar expeditions (so I have a slight insight to what is ahead) and many other things.  A few of these things I have started where I've been able to, and my expeditionary partner is putting all appropriate plans in place for everything else.  I will be blogging all significant progress in terms of kit arrival, training and also my mental state as this challenge builds.

Thanks all for reading and, again, for all and any support you provide.  It's gonna be a hell of a journey and it would be nice to have you along for the ride! :)

Andy Norman.

No comments:

Post a Comment