GREENLAND ICE CAP, UNSUPPORTED and UNASSISTED, approx 500KM. MARCH 2012.
A chronicle of my first ever Arctic crossing. In fact, my first ever expedition! As part of a 2 man team I will cross the Greenland ice cap, covering approximately 500km taking around a month. I will be pulling up to 100kg on a pulk across the ice in temperatures as low as minus 40 degrees Celcius. With no previous experience to call on, you can follow my attempt to transition from expedition layman to Arctic adventurer.

2nd tyre pulling session - Heavy and hard

So previously I blogged that I wondered why more people didn't do tyre pulling as a general training exercise.  Well, I can tell you why they wouldn't do heavy tyre pulling:  IT'S HARD!

Despite thinking I would maintain the small weight for my second session and increase the time to 2 hours I opted to up the weight and attempt 2 hours anyway!  So this time I went out with 3 tyres dragging behind me, providing a weight of 50kg.  I started on a stretch of firetrack which had about 5 slopes (well you could barely call them hills, but they felt like mountains!).  Some of them steeper than others, all of them increasing the intensity to an incredibly high level.  I did one out and in lap with the 50kg and had to drop two tyres for the second leg, I was operating at the very peak of my capacity.  However, 10 metres in and my friend (who had joined me for some fitness and was pulling 15kg with two tyres herself) decided that she should have dropped one too.  So I had to take one off her and I was back up to two tyres, though only with a weight of 20kg this time.  This reduced load made all the difference and I whizzed up and back again the second time.

Unfortunately, we only lasted an hour this time and both decided we should call it a night as we'd gone too heavy to early.  The nights are getting colder and it would have been a typical time to pull a muscle or similar had I pushed it through to another hour.  Time for some rest, rehydration and some recovery provided my Maximuscle!

Next time: 2 hours, 30kg!!  I shall report back.

No comments:

Post a Comment