GREENLAND ICE CAP, UNSUPPORTED and UNASSISTED, approx 500KM. MARCH 2012.
A chronicle of my first ever Arctic crossing. In fact, my first ever expedition! As part of a 2 man team I will cross the Greenland ice cap, covering approximately 500km taking around a month. I will be pulling up to 100kg on a pulk across the ice in temperatures as low as minus 40 degrees Celcius. With no previous experience to call on, you can follow my attempt to transition from expedition layman to Arctic adventurer.

THE EXPEDITION

To cross the Greenland Ice Cap, east to west.

Operating as part of a two man team we will be covering approximately 700 unsupported, unassisted kilometres.


As this is my first Arctic trip - indeed it will be my first ever cold weather expedition - we are allowing ourselves up to one month to complete the journey.  A month cross country skiing with nothing to look at except a distant white horizon (if we're lucky) or a blizzard of snow (if we're not).

We will begin in March 2012, by taking a flight out of London to the east of Greenland, via Iceland.  From there we will wait for the right conditions and availability to take our heli lift to the ice cap.

Once we are safely on the ice cap we will wave goodbye the the helicopter and will not see much of any civilisation again until we have safely crossed the ice cap possibly a month later.

Arriving on the west coast of Greenland we will no doubt share a beer and a few tales, then hop back on a flight home via Iceland again.  My birthday will be on the 20th April so it will be a nice present to myself and my family if I'm back home for then with a nice new string to my bow :)

It all sounds so simple.  It's just the month in the middle that I think might be a challenge.

1 comment:

  1. Best of luck! I've been thinking about doing something similar, but maybe I'll see how you get on first...

    ReplyDelete